Water Restrictions in Atherton
In order to achieve state-mandated water use reductions necessitated by historic drought conditions, Cal Water has filed its Schedule 14.1 with the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). Cal Water’s Schedule 14.1 provides for household and business water budgets and associated enforcement measures to reduce water use in its districts.
Cal Water districts throughout California must achieve between an 8- to 36-percent reduction in water use, as set by the Board, from their usage during July through September 2013.
Beginning on June 1st Atherton residents who use Cal Water service will be required to cut water usage 36% from their 2013 usage. The customer’s monthly bill will show his or her water budget for the following month. Customers’ water use history through 2013 will also be available online at www.calwater.com beginning in June. Below is information on the prohibited uses.
- No runoff to street or adj. property from non-irrigated areas
- No car washing unless a shut off nozzle is installed
- No washing off driveways or sidewalks
- No fountains unless they are recirculating
- No irrigation after 48 hours of rainfall of 1/10th of an inch
- Drip or micro spray systems only on new installations of turf
- Medians can only be watered by drip irrigation if potable water is used
At this time it is uncertain watering will be limited to certain days of the week. Additionally, water wells may become regulated.
And don't forget Cal Water is holding a water awareness festival at Holbrook-Palmer Park on Tuesday, May 12 from 4PM to 7PM. Please attend the free event to learn about water conservation methods while enjoying music, food, face painting, raffle prizes and more.