News Flash Home
The original item was published from 7/3/2017 10:18:26 AM to 7/5/2017 12:00:00 AM.
Posted on: July 3, 2017
[ARCHIVED] The use of fireworks in the Town of Atherton are prohibited
The Atherton Police Department hopes that you are having a fun and safe summer vacation. As the 4th of July holiday is rapidly approaching, we would like to remind all of our residents that fireworks of any type are not only dangerous, but also illegal in the Town of Atherton. The Police Department will be working closely with the Menlo Park Fire District to provide a safe avenue of disposal and enforcement of fireworks for our residents.
Safety on the July 4th Holiday
July 4th is the second-most-deadly holiday period of the year – just behind New Year’s – due to impaired driving.
Drunk driving is a serious crime. If you're caught we'll place you under arrest. No exceptions. No excuses.
Much of the tragedy that comes from impaired-driving related crashes could be prevented if everyone would take a few simple precautions before going out to party this Fourth of July.
Always follow these tips for a safer July 4th celebration:
• Whenever you plan on using alcohol, designate your sober driver before going out and give that person your keys;
• If you’re impaired, call a taxi, use mass transit or call a sober friend or family member to get you home safely;
• Promptly report drunk drivers you see on the roadways to law enforcement;
• Wearing your safety belt or using protective gear on your motorcycle is your best defense against an impaired driver;
• And remember, Friends Don’t Let Friends Drive Drunk. If you know someone who is about to drive or ride while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get to where they are going safely.
Below are some family friendly events occurring in San Mateo County for your July 4th Holiday.
ALAMEDA: USS Hornet's 4th of July Celebration 2017: Alameda
FOSTER CITY: July 4th Pancake Breakfast, Family & Dog Parade, Fireworks 2017: Foster City
HALF MOON BAY: 4th of July Pancake Breakfast: Half Moon Bay
HALF MOON BAY: Ol’ Fashioned 4th of July Parade: Half Moon Bay
MENLO PARK: Fourth of July Parade & Celebration 2017: Menlo Park
If you have any questions, please contact the Atherton Police Department at 650.688.6500.