On August 4th, 2022 at approximately 11:07PM, a residential burglary occurred in the unit block of Inglewood Lane in Atherton. The suspects entered the residence by smashing a rear window and took a safe and a vehicle. The vehicle was recovered and the safe is still outstanding.
If you live in the area of Inglewood Lane, please check your surveillance systems and report any possible leads to the Atherton Police Department at 650-688-6500.
The best way to prevent yourself from becoming a victim of burglary is to properly protect your home and your valuables. You can greatly assist our crime prevention efforts by doing the following:
1. Keep all doors and windows locked, even when you are home.
2. When you are not home, making it appear that someone is home by keeping lights on, installing light timers, leaving on the TV or a radio.
3. Install exterior lighting.
4. Do not keep valuables in your master bedroom as this area is a common target of burglars.
5. Keep valuables well-hidden and consider using a safe bolted to the floor and/or wall.
6. Keep valuables out of your car and lock your car doors.
7. Install an alarm system and security cameras (strongly consider having your alarm system monitored for free by our PD Dispatch Center by calling 650-688-6500).
8. Schedule a Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) review of your home by, one of our specially trained CPTED officers, by calling us at 650-688-6500.
The Atherton Police Department’s crime prevention efforts are meant to strengthen the partnership between our residents and the community we serve. But none of these ideas will help unless they are used properly. Failing to lock doors and windows or to turn on security lighting and alarms will represent a failure of the overall protection system for the home. We hope that together, we can enhance the quality of life in Atherton and make our great community as safe and secure as possible.