City Manager's Blog

The City Manager's Blog is an online educational tool to provide general information to the community in open communication style. Periodically, the City Manager will post articles of general interest covering topics such as the Town's budget, budget process, capital projects, upcoming meetings, community issues, public safety, and general Town operations.

Articles in the blog are not designed as press releases or Town publications, rather, they are written in more of a conversational style. The Blog does not have a comments feature but readers are free to respond to the Blog and its entries view email directly to the City Manager.

View All Posts

Jun 19

May 2017 City Manager's Monthly Report

Posted on June 19, 2017 at 1:30 PM by grodericks grodericks

City Manager's Monthly Report - May 2017

Monthly-report.pngThe City Manager's Monthly Report Blog is a consolidation of issues, communications, and Town activity during the prior month that have been reported to the City Council as part of their weekly email from the City Manager. Sometimes information is duplicated over the course of several emails to the City Council to ensure that it is reviewed

As I review the information to include in the Monthly Report, to the extent possible, I remove duplicate updates (older emails get shorter) in favor of the most recent - although some will be duplicative if there is other relevant information included. 

The Report reads with the most recent first. As always, if you have any questions or comments regarding the Monthly Report, please feel free to contact me directly via email or phone.

My weekly email to the City Council typically goes out every Friday.

Follow us on Twitter -

Like us on Facebook -


George Rodericks
City Manager
Town of Atherton
(650) 752-0504

May 26, 2017 Weekly Council Notes

1. Articles of Interest

Almanac News - Atherton’s New Police Chief
Almanac News - FedEx Driver Arrested
Mercury News - FedEx Driver Charged
Mercury News - Atherton’s Marsh Road Channel Project Wins Management Award
Almanac News - Editorial - Vote Yes on Atherton’s Measure A
Mercury News - Roadway Improvements Underway in Atherton
Mercury News - FedEx Driver Could Get Life Sentence

2. Menlo Park, Redwood City, & Atherton - Meeting

Judi Herren is working to setup a meeting with Mayor Lempres, TC Chair McLaughlin, and myself together with representatives from Menlo Park and Redwood City. The City Managers of both communities have indicated a desire to meet to discuss regional projects, but specifically transportation related issues/mitigation and drainage. 

3. Selby/ECR Improvement Project

Last week I met with a resident on Stockbridge Avenue that expressed concern that the Selby/ECR Improvement Project was moving on without input from residents on Stockbridge. The resident expressed concern that the solution for the Selby/ECR intersection might negatively impact traffic on Stockbridge for the benefit of traffic on Selby. The resident expressed concern that the current traffic on Stockbridge was excessive and non-compliant with local traffic regulations (speeding/stopping/etc.). 

I advised that the issues on Stockbridge are not dissimilar to the issues facing a number of streets in Atherton and sometimes a solution on one street will have an impact on another. That was one of the reasons that the Council halted the move for a traffic signal on Selby at ECR to allow a traffic study to be completed to evaluate the impact. The resident expressed a desire for directed traffic enforcement on Stockbridge on a regular basis (as the solution to speeding). I advised that while that could certainly be done, it would not be a final solution in that most traffic solution involve engineering as well as enforcement solutions. 

With respect to moving forward on the Selby/ECR project, we committed to ensuring that residents on Stockbridge were notified of any future meetings and to putting the completed study onto the Town’s website project page. The PD also connected with the resident and will be doing some directed enforcement. Recent directed enforcement on Stockbridge occurred in January where we specifically assigned motor and patrol units 11 times to the street. We did a similar directed enforcement in March. Efforts were primarily focused in the morning commute hours. A recent speed survey for the street indicates that the 85th Percentile Speed is 35 MPH and the average speed is 30 MPH. Posted speed limit is 25 MPH. There is a speed problem on Stockbridge that is known by the PD and they do conduct active directed enforcement. Another scheduled directed enforcement will be conducted in the near future. 

4. C/CAG Bike/PED Call for Projects - July 2017

The next Call for Projects for C/CAG TDA Article 3 Bike/Ped Projects has been released. There is $2.26 million available within this grant cycle on a competitive basis. The project submittal deadline is July 14, 2017. We will be submitting a grant application.

5. SFPUC Water Line Update

Staff met with representatives from the SFPUC, to include Michael Carlin, Deputy General Manager. It was a productive meeting and we have reached a conceptual agreement that works for both agencies, pending final approval by the SFPUC Board and City Council. 

For the project, the SFPUC will vacate both existing easements north of Ashfield Road (one exclusive 20’ pipeline easement and one exclusive 20’ construction/maintenance easement) in favor of a single 15’ pipeline easement to accommodate the Police Department parking area and structures. The new easement will carry throughout the project area and will include an additional 10’ non-exclusive easement (above ground only) as a construction/maintenance/access easement. All the easements will be recorded. Neither of these easements will negatively affect the Town’s project.  

Outside the project area, the Town will grant the SFPUC a non-exclusive pipeline easement for their existing pipeline (along Station Lane to Watkins and portions of Fair Oaks). The Town will also identify approximately 10,000 square feet (the proposed parking lot area in front of the new Town Hall) that can be used as a staging area for major repairs on the pipeline if needed. This will be a non-exclusive easement for use by the SFPUC. The exact location of this area may change in the future as needs dictate and may include portions of the Caltrain parking area as needed. 

The SFPUC will assist the Town with “protecting the line” in place during the project by providing onsite inspectors. The Town and the SFPUC will split all costs evenly of any required surveying, potholing, pits, trenching, excavation, backfill, pavement patching, inspection, title reports, plats and legal descriptions, etc. This includes the recent amendment approved by the Council in May. 

All costs outside the project area are the responsibility of the SFPUC. 

6. Planning Commission Meeting - May 24, 2017

The Planning Commission met on May 24 and took the following action:

- Made the finding that the CIP Project for FY’s 2017/18 - 2021/22 and the associated projects are consistent with the Town’s General Plan;
- Approved a Heritage Tree Removal Permit at 2 Barry Lane to allow the removal of 1 tree; and
- Approved a CUP at 150 Valparaiso Avenue, Sacred Heart Schools to allow the temporary placement of 7 portable classrooms. 

The next meeting is scheduled for June 28, 2017.

7. Animal Services Monthly Report for April 2017

Linked here is the Animal Services Monthly Report for April 2017. 

8. Community Workshop - El Camino Complete Streets Project

A community workshop was held on May 16 for the El Camino Complete Streets Project. There were 16 members of the public that attended the workshop. Outreach was done via the Town’s email list, mailers, Town website, San Mateo Get Healthy Facebook, Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition email list, Menlo-Atherton High School Social Media, C/CAG Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee email list and the Grand Boulevard Initiative Social Media/Email list. 

Attendees were asked to give their “Big Ideas” for El Camino Real in addition to indicating their current and desired transportation options. The consultant is still sorting through the feedback and putting together a follow-up report/analysis. Some of the concerns expressed were drainage, safe spaces for pedestrians and cyclists, balancing cut-through traffic impacts, vegetation and visibility. 

9. Menlo Park Community Emergency Drill

There is a joint community emergency disaster drill with community resident volunteers and organizations, MPFPD, at San Mateo County CERTs, Menlo Park Fire, and Menlo Park Police. The drill will take place on June 24 from 8 am to 1 pm at Fremont Park. The group will practice organization coordination, resource management, information gathering and communication. They will activate and participate in an Incident Command Post and deploy recon/triage teams. 

If you would like to attend, you can RSVP at

10. Active Shooter Exercise

The Chief has started the initial planning for an active shooter school exercise in Spring 2018. It is anticipated that this will be preceded by active shooter training using the “Run Hide Fight” model for all students - all grades. 

In anticipation of this exercise and Town-School Relations, the Chief has also started school administrator meetings and will be compiling a list of school issues/concerns and feedback on the SRO program - with the expectation that schools will begin contributing financially to the program. 

11. Home for All and Common Knowledge Workshop - Closing the Housing Gap

The Home for All and Common Knowledge Plus group is hosting a community engagement workshop on Wednesday, May 31. Home for All is partnering with Common Knowledge Plus to design and implement a community engagement pilot program. At the workshop, details will be presented of a potential pilot program and how cities can participate. Community leaders will have an opportunity to weigh in on feedback from city managers and council members received about the program, local examples of different kids of effective community engagement, proven practices to engage the “quiet middle” and a preview of technical assistance for cities that want to be a part of the pilot project. 

If you are interested in attending, RSVP to TJ Carter at or by phone at 650-363-1931.

12. Civic Center Project Webpage

The Civic Center Project webpage has been updated with recent project status and financial information. 

13. Little League Majors All-Star Tournament

M-ALL has put together their brackets for the All-Star Tournament. Games in Atherton are:

- SAT, June 24 

@ 10 am (Winners Bracket)
@ 12:30 pm (Winners Bracket)
@ 3 pm (Winners Bracket)

- SUN, June 25 

@ 10 am (Winners Bracket)
@ 12:30 pm (Winners Bracket)
@ 3 pm (Elimination Bracket)

- MON, June 26 

@ 5 pm (Elimination Bracket)

- TUE, June 27 

@ 5 pm (Elimination Bracket)

- WED, June 28 

@ 5 pm (Winners Bracket)

- THU, June 29 

@ 5 pm (Elimination Bracket)

- MON, July 3 

@ 5 pm (Elimination Bracket)

- TUE, July 4 

@ 10 am (Championship Game)

There are a total of 12 games in HHP and 17 games at Burgess. 

14. June 7 Study Session - Budget Items

In the Staff Report rolling forward the General Fund Operations Budget and CIP Budget for FY 2017/18 on June 7, you will also be considering the following items:

- Additional recommendations from the Park & Recreation Committee for Park Projects in the CIP.
- Potential Fee Changes for the June 21 Fee Resolution Related to Changes for the Carriage House and Waiver of Fees for Tree Removal Inspections
- Adding funds for a traffic engineer/consultant to assist the Town with Town-wide Discussions on Traffic Mitigation Measures - directly related to the proactive installation of speed lumps, turning movement restrictions (no left/no right), community workshop, and temporary solutions. 

Special Event Permits - as of May 26, 2017

This is a list of upcoming Special Event Permits approved or under review. 

  • May 20, 2017 - Children’s Champion Event - Menlo College Cartan Field - 10 am - 1 pm
  • May 29, 2017 - Memorial Day BBQ - Circus Club - 5 pm - 9 pm
  • June 11, 2017 - Polo Matches - Circus Club - 10 am - 7 pm
  • June 18, 2017 - Father’s Day BBQ - Circus Club - 5 pm - 9 pm
  • July 2, 9, & 16, 2017 - Polo Matches - Circus Club - 10 am - 7 pm
  • July 4, 2017 - 4th of July BBQ - Circus Club - 4 pm - 9 pm
  • July 21, 2017 - Market Inc. Family Picnic - Menlo College - 8 am to 7 pm
  • July 22, 2017 - Wedding Reception - 148 Greenoaks Drive - 4:30 pm to 11 pm
  • July 28, 2017 - Guidewire Company Picnic - Menlo College - 11 am to 5 pm
  • July 29, 2017 - Guidewire Company Picnic - Menlo College - 8 am to 5 pm
  • August 8-14, 2017 - Horse Show - Circus Club 
  • August 12, 2017 - Family Wedding - James Avenue - 4 pm - 10:30 pm
  • September 3 & 10, 2017 - Polo Matches - Circus Club - 10 am - 7 pm
  • September 4, 2017 - Labor Day BBQ - Circus Club - 5 pm - 9 pm
  • October 26, 2017 - Halloween Party - Circus Club - 7 pm - 9 pm
  • October 2018 - Menlo Circus Club - Palo Alto Elks Concours d'Elegance Car Show

May 19, 2017 Weekly Council Notes

1. Articles of Interest

Almanac News - Atherton Reconsiders Business License Tax
Almanac News - Atherton Measure A Backers Event Provides Info on Civic Center
Mercury News - Steven McCulley Sworn in as Atherton Police Chief
Mercury News - Yes on A Committee Pressing Case for New Atherton Town Center
Mercury News - Atherton Council Discusses Transportation Committee Suggestions
Mercury News - Atherton Residents Consider What to do about El Camino Real

2. Updated Funding Plan Documents for the Civic Center

At the May 17 Council meeting there was some discussion of the project costs, total cost, public perception, roll-up, and elimination of contingencies as the project moves along. The contingencies in the project Cost Model Manager are percentage based. So, every time we add a cost or fine-tune a cost, the contingency percentage adjusts based on that total cost. I understand the public perception perspective and Marty will work with Mack5 to reduce contingency amounts as the project moves forward where we have defined numbers. Because the #’s in the Cost Model Manager are start to finish, they include the funds the Town allocated pre-project to CEQA and other items. That’s been added to the budget as a GF contribution pre-project. 

At the end of last year, the Council set a donation maximum assumption of $25 million. Added to that number was the allocated Building Funds and the pre-project allocations. That set a budget of $28,938,863. Then, the Council added the Corporation Yard to the Project. That number needs to be scrubbed further, but that increases the budget by $2,936,500. That set a new project budget of $31,875,363

The base project costs - without the %-based project contingencies is $28,229,120 - under the set budget by $3,646,243.

The Cost Model Manager includes approximately 10% in indirect cost contingencies and another 15% in construction contingencies. These are %-based placeholders for change orders, design changes, and bid result unknowns. Meaning, in a perfect world, no change orders and bids on-target with the estimate, the total project cost (not including the library) is $28,229,120. I believe it is important to include these placeholders on the Cost Model Manager. We may or may not need them, but it’s important as a project planning tool. 

When talking about an all-in project cost, including any assumptions or contingencies, the price tag is that $53,564,636 number. But, when talking about just the design, construction, and furnishing of the Admin/PD/CDD plus the Corp Yard - assuming no change orders and bids on-target - that’s $28,229,120. For the Library, that’s $15,978,805.

There are still project unknowns and we are currently working through a preliminary value engineering process that will further change things. For example, if a particular value engineering conversation results in the selection of a potential design change to eliminate a portion of the building or phase a portion of the project, there will need to be design changes made pre-bid so that the bidders can bid on the alternate. That’s a design cost that must be paid up front before bidding the project. That subcommittee has come up with a preliminary list of potential “deducts” that can be included in the bid that would reduce the project cost by approximately 10%. Some of these will require redesign costs in order for them to be included in the bid packet. These will be presented to the Council for a decision prior to moving forward. 

3. Commission/Committee Vacancies - Deadline is May 19 for Applications

Judi is distributing on Fridays a list of vacancies and applications for the various Town Committees. 

- Audit/Finance - 2 vacancies - 1 applicant - 

Jim Massey and Ken Hausman terms are expiring. Cameron Gramaglia is a new applicant. Greg Conlon has asked for consideration of reappointment if there are not sufficient applicants matched to vacancies. 

- EPC - 2 vacancies - 1 applicant - 

Holly Joseph’s term is expiring and there is an existing vacancy - Holly has asked for reappointment.

- Park & Rec - 1 vacancy - 2 applicants - 

Bill Hoy’s term is expiring. Frank Merrill and Christine David are new applicants. 

- Planning - 1 vacancy - 2 applicants - 

Paul Tonelli’s term is expiring. Paul has asked for reappointment. Brian Keifenheim is a new applicant. 

- Rail - 1 vacancy - 1 applicant - 

One existing vacancy. Anthony Wynne is new. 

For those members that are leaving their respective committees/commission, we will be putting together a certificate plaque and letter from the Mayor. 

4. HAWK Beacon Installations

Caltrans continues work on the HAWK Beacons up and down the ECR corridor. For Atherton, all the trenching and foundation work for the poles and cabinets at Alejandra and Isabella have been completed. Caltrans is waiting on PG&E inspections to complete the work. Once PG&E completes their initial inspections, Caltrans will begin wiring work and the installation of the poles and beacons. All crosswalk safety improvements along ECR are expected to complete in September 2017. 

While starting in Atherton with installation and ultimate activation, the Caltrans projects is a single construction project for all of the HAWK beacons. Therefore, work on any singular component, i.e. trenching, wiring, poles, etc. is done up and down the corridor starting in Atherton before moving to the next component of work. In this manner, Atherton is first for complete install and first for activation, BUT, there are delays as the contractor moves down the corridor to the next set of light installations. 

5. Meetings with Civic Center Neighbors

Following the May 11 Neighborhood Meeting, I met with three neighbors to the project to discuss specific issues. One of the neighbors is immediately adjacent to the historic Town Hall. The concerns expressed are in relation to the existing chainlink property line fence. The fence is deteriorating in parts and they have requested that the Town consider replacing the fence with a solid wood fence to address its repair and to assist with screening the renewed and expanded activity at the rear of the historic Town Hall and new Library. A second set of neighbors live behind the Police Station. Their concern is also the property line wall. In this case, the wall is the a concrete slat wall similar to what is along areas of Lindenwood and in the Park. This property line wall (like the others) is also deteriorating in many parts. The concrete slats in the wall are quite heavy and if they fail, they can cause harm. The property owners are requesting that the Town consider repairing the wall and/or replacing the wall at the same height. We have yet to determine with both of these situations if the wall is on Town property or private property. It is highly likely that the fence and wall are both Town-owned. 

The third property owner and I had an extensive discussion on the project itself (design inside and out) as well as the project finances, potential for a COP, and future CIP Projects. The property owner also worked(s) in the cell site negotiation arena and volunteered to assist the Town at some point with any necessary negotiations with AT&T with respect to the site tower. 

6. Sussex Fence/Wall Repair

The Mayor and I together with David Huynh, Associate Civicl Engineer, met with the property owners on the private road (Sussex) in Menlo Park that backs to the Park. The property owners are interested in repairing the failing fence (another situation of a concrete slat wall). They will be approaching the Town with a request to make repairs and replace the wall (to the same height) with a Town contribution to the project - designed and managed privately. 

We discussed the possibility of an entry gate through the wall to the Park as was there years ago and neither property owner is interested in a publicly accessible gate from their private property to the Park. Any agreement or design would move through the formal Town process for review/approval. Any agreement/contribution by the Town and height over 6 feet would trigger Commission/Council review. 

7. Caltrans CIA Agreement

Caltrans has provided a funding plan and encumbrance schedule for the $13.6 million allocation toward the Water Capture Facility at Las Lomitas. We are coordinating with the District to create an MOU between the District and the Town. 

May 12, 2017 Weekly Council Notes

1. Articles of Interest

Mercury News - Voting on Atherton Town Center funding begins today
Mercury News - Atherton invites residents’ input on El Camino Real
Almanac Online - Atherton Moves Ahead with Project to Capture Runoff Water
Almanac Online - Atherton Election: Pro and Con Views on Civic Center Measure
Almanac Online - Atherton Voters Face Decisions on Financing New Civic Center
Almanac Online - Atherton may spend $13.6 million Capital Improvements

2. Civic Center Project Neighborhood Meeting - May 11 Meeting - 7 pm to 9 pm

There were approximately 30 attendees at the neighborhood meeting on May 11. The focus of the meeting was the immediate neighborhood and impacts thereto if/when the project moves forward. The meeting was a precursor to on-boarding the short-list of contractors to discuss the phasing and staging plan with the neighbors concerns in mind. There is a local group of neighbors interested in this meeting and they will be assisting with the provision of refreshments for attendees (Council Chambers). 

Attendees discussed dust, truck routes, phasing, staging of vehicles, contractor parking, access through the site, tree removal, tree planting, and hours of construction. With respect to hours of construction, those in attendance favored a quicker project versus maintaining strict compliance with Monday-Friday construction hours. Staff will bring this issue up for Council consideration as the project moves forward. 

3. El Camino Real Complete Streets Project - Stakeholder/Community Meeting - May 16

There is a Community Open House for this project planned for Tuesday, May 16 from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm at Encinal Elementary School. 

4. Contact with County and Other Agencies on Las Lomitas Project/Bayfront Canal Project(s)

As mentioned, staff made contact with upstream and downstream agencies regarding the Las Lomitas Project. I advised Kevin Bryant (Woodside CM) and Alex McIntyre (Menlo Park CM) that the Town is the recipient of a $13.6 million project agreement with Caltrans for the implementation of a Storm Water Capture Facility at the Las Lomitas Elementary School Campus. I have heard from Menlo Park - interested in meeting; but have not heard from Woodside. 

As also mentioned, on May 10 I attended a meeting hosted by the County on the Bayfront Canal Drainage Improvement Projects. This meeting was attended by Menlo Park, Redwood City, and the County. Woodside was invited but did not attend. Linked here is the Agenda and attachments

In short, as part of the countywide search for solutions to regional flooding, the County is embarking on a regional watershed approach to drainage projects. If you read that as a search for funding partners you would be accurate. Menlo Park and Redwood City are “on board” with the approach. Stakeholders and partners include Redwood City Menlo Park, State Water Board(s), State of California, Caltrans, City of San Mateo, Cargill, Stanford, Facebook, Woodside, and the South Bay Salt Pond Restoration Project - AND Atherton. The County is using the same watershed map that the Town uses as part of its Drainage Master Plan identifying contributors to the Atherton Channel. 

Based on the Bayfront Canal and Atherton Channel Subwatersheds and Jurisdictional Boundaries Map, contributors to the Bayfront Canal Project should include the Town of Atherton, City of Redwood City, San Mateo County, City of Menlo Park, and the Town of Woodside. Based on flow contributions per jurisdiction - the Town of Atherton is the largest contributor at 38%, Redwood City next at 26%, the County at 22%, Menlo Park at 10.5% and Woodside at 3.5%. 

The County is seeking a multi-partner MOU to address a proposed project in the Bayfront Canal using existing grant funds and contributions based on flow from each stakeholder agency together with ongoing maintenance responsibilities. The design cost of the project is approximately $600,000. The construction cost is $7 million plus ongoing O&M. The group decided to start with an MOU simply addressing design but contemplating future construction and O&M. 

I told the group that the Town of Atherton did not bring a checkbook to the meeting. However, acknowledging that the solution to regional flooding issues is necessarily a regional approach, the issues need to be addressed. I advised that asking the Town to front nearly $3 million toward a drainage project downstream is likely a non-starter with the City Council. However, there may be other solutions for which the Town can get drainage credit as in-kind contributions and/or opportunities for the Town to partner with neighboring jurisdictions as a funding partners. Further, I did not think the Town would be interested in signing on to an MOU unless all contributors were at the table and all projects up and down the watershed were taken into consideration for design, construction, and future O&M - to include the Las Lomitas Water Capture Project. 

We discussed further how the Town would receive “credit” for the Las Lomitas Project and how the Las Lomitas Project would be incorporated into the MOU as a watershed project for which other contributor agencies (Stanford, Woodside, and Menlo Park) would be required to contribute to O&M in the long-term. 

We knew this day would come and the agencies at the table were well aware of the magnitude of some of the potential short-term and long-term costs asks to partner agencies. As the downstream constraints to the Atherton Channel are addressed, upstream flow will improve. If the Town signs on to the MOU, while we would have downstream funding shares, there would also be upstream funding shares for any constraint improvements the Town were to make locally as part of a regional approach (ADLP under-road pipes, upstream channel improvements, improvements at the Park, etc.). That’s the commitment I advised the group that the Town would require before signing on to an MOU. 

5. Fire Services Fiscal Review

Staff held a Kick-Off meeting with the consultant (Matrix) and the Ad Hoc Subcommittee on May 10. Matrix then held a meeting with the Fire District to begin data gathering. Reports from that meeting were positive. 

6. Garden City Sanitation, Inc.

We received a letter from Garden City Sanitation Inc  interested in speaking with the Town about alternative franchise operations. IF the Town moves forward with a public competitive bid process, it would be inappropriate for members of the awarding body (City Council) to speak with prospective vendors. While it is nice to hear that there might be interest from other vendors, it is not recommended that you make contact. 

7. Recology Amended Franchise Agreement Workshop - City Managers

I attended the May 11 Workshop hosted by the SBWMA for the San Mateo City Managers. Linked here is the presentation.

May 5, 2017 Weekly Council Notes

1. Articles of Interest

Mercury News - Atherton Council Goals Workshop
Mercury News - Atherton Police Swearing in New Officer
Mercury News - Caltrans Las Lomitas Project

Interesting piece on Public-Private Partnerships for Libraries (slim on detail, but good info)

2. Atherton Fiber

The preliminary meeting set for 5/17 to discuss plan costs as well as incorporation of the Library into the project scope has been postponed to more toward the end of the month. 

AF/OF/Paxio crew leads are making contact with residents at or near distribution hubs to do site assessments. I have provided Atherton Fiber a letter that they can distribute to these field crews to assist with validation. A copy of this letter is linked here. It will be provided to the PD (via this email) for distribution to dispatch. The letter is an introduction to the Town’s engagement with AF/OF/Paxio as a CLEC (utility/carrier). At this point, they are still in the process of putting together data for their Encroachment Permit. The Encroachment Permit is the only permit required via the Town. 

Here’s a link to the letter

3. Overview of E-Scrap Event - 4/22/17

During the April 22, 2017 Earth Day E-Scrap event, the following was collected:

- CRTs - 20 units weighing 1,468 lbs
- Flat Screens - 9 units weighing 137 lbs
- CPUs - 318 lbs
- Laptops - 70 lbs
- Batteries - 38 lbs
- Misc E-Waste - 2,816 lbs

4. SBWMA Franchise Extension Workshop

The next workshop of the SBWMA regarding the Franchise Extension is scheduled for Tuesday, May 16 from 9:30 am to 1:30 pm at the Foster City Recreation Center Mist Room located at 650 Shell Boulevard in Foster City. The focus of this 2nd Workshop is on the contract language. The City Attorney and Assistant City Attorney will be attending. There will be lunch and refreshments. 

5. Upcoming Civic Center Project Neighborhood Meeting - May 11 Meeting - 7 pm to 9 pm

The focus of this meeting is the immediate neighborhood and impacts thereto if/when the project moves forward. The meeting is a precursor to on-boarding the short-list of contractors to discuss the phasing and staging plan with the neighbors concerns in mind. There is a local group of neighbors interested in this meeting and they will be assisting with the provision of refreshments for attendees (Council Chambers). 

6. History/Update on the El Camino Real/Selby Lane Intersection

A member of the Council asked for some history and an update on the Selby/ECR Intersection. In December of 2013, Caltrans made a presentation to the City Council informing the Town that primarily due to a 10-year history of vehicular collisions, the Selby Lane/ECR intersection met warrants for a traffic signal. Over the next 12 months and after several additional reports to City Council, it was determined that neither the Town of Atherton nor San Mateo County supported the installation of a traffic signal. However, although they did not support a traffic signal, the City Council directed staff to explore and evaluate all potential alternatives to improve the safety of this intersection.

Since April 2015, technical staff from the Town, Caltrans District 4, and San Mateo County have been engaged in discussions looking at a number of alternatives to improve the safety and operations of the Selby/ECR intersection. The purpose was to identify alternatives which all 3 agencies could support. This meant identifying alternatives which were sensitive and respectful of neighborhood traffic concerns as well as alternatives which preserved the operations and capacity of the El Camino Real Corridor. Through this process, a number of alternatives were identified and supported by all 3 agencies. In February 2016, a Community Workshop was held at Selby Elementary School to share these alternatives and solicit community feedback and input. The meeting was broadly advertised to residents living on Selby Lane as well as adjacent Redwood City and San Mateo County neighborhoods. Based upon sign-in sheet information, there was a good representation of Atherton, Redwood City, and San Mateo County residents attending the Workshop. After the presentation of alternatives and response to questions, the attendees were asked to show their support or non-support of the alternatives through the placement of colored dots. Through this process, two alternatives clearly emerged as the preferred alternatives. These were the traffic signal alternative and a non-signalized alternative which eliminates all existing left turn and thru movements except the northbound ECR left turn into Selby Lane. Based on the success of this meeting, in April 2016, the City Council authorized additional engineering analysis required by Caltrans to assess the potential operational impacts to El Camino Real of the 2 preferred alternatives. 

UPDATE: That technical analysis is complete and Caltrans is supportive of either a signalized intersection or a modified design. The Town host a follow-up Community Workshop to select the preferred project. 

7. PAEC Upcoming Events (narrative from PAEC)

The PAEC project teams have been very busy since the project kicked off last October. To give you a quick update, the Clean Coalition has submitted to the California Energy Commission (CEC) over 50 technical product deliverables ranging from Advanced Energy Communities (AEC) best practice recommendations, proposed AEC model ordinances for the San Mateo County, and the progress update of the Town of Atherton’s efforts to design and construct the first net energy positive civic center in California. Additionally, the PAEC team has three upcoming events to which the Town is invited:

- May 22, 2017 – “Green Lease” Round Table: Landlord-Tenant Collaboration for an Advanced Energy Future; As part of the California Energy Commission funded grant Peninsula Advanced Energy Communities (PAEC), San Mateo County invites you to join us at a stakeholder round table to discuss green leasing strategies and concepts that incentivize landlords and tenants to collaborate on energy efficiency upgrades and zero net energy goals.  San Mateo County has identified selected representatives from a cross-section of commercial real estate owners, developers, tenants and other stakeholders to provide industry input and perspectives. 

The results of this round table will inform future work with the California Energy Commission with the goal of replication across the state.

An official invitation will be sent out once the agenda has been finalized. In the meantime, if you are interested in attending this workshop, please feel free to mark your calendars as a "Save the Date".

Location: Redwood Shores Sobrato Center- 330 Twin Dolphin Dr., Redwood City, CA 94065

Time: 10:30 A.M.-1:30 P.M.

May 23, 2017 - Peninsula Advanced Energy Communities Workshop; RICAPS, DNV GL, San Mateo County (Office of Sustainability), and the Clean Coalition will be hosting a two part workshop. We encourage you to attend lunch and the afternoon session as it will be focused on PAEC. Specifically, the focus of the afternoon session will be centered on streamlining local government permitting and policies. Discussion and progress updates will include: Best practices analysis and recommendations; selection of model ordinances for benefit-cost analysis and results; review of proposed model ordinances; and facilitated break-out discussion groups.

An official invitation will be sent out once the agenda has been finalized. In the meantime, if you are interested in attending this workshop, please feel free to mark your calendars as a "Save the Date".

Location: San Mateo City Hall; Conference Room C; 330 W. 20th Ave, San Mateo CA 94403

Time: Lunch will be provided at 12:30 P.M. and the session will begin at 1 P.M.

- July 25, 2017 - PAEC Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) Meeting #1; this meeting is the first of two TAC meetings which are required by the CEC. Here we will share with you progress on the PAEC project, next steps, as well as give you the opportunity to share your feedback and/or industry insight which could support the PAEC goals and objectives.The agenda is current being developed, and once finalized, we will attach it to the official invitation. In the meantime, please save this date and time.

Location: Redwood Shores Sobrato Center- 350 Twin Dolphin Dr., Redwood City, CA 94065

Time: The meeting is currently being scheduled from 9:30 pm to 1:00 pm.

To help with the above event planning, please RSVP to Wendy Boyle by May 11, 2017.\

8. Police Chief Steve McCulley

Police Chief McCulley was sworn in as Chief on May 3. He officially assumed his duties as Chief effective May 3. His ceremonial Oath of Office will take place at the May 17 Council Meeting - at which his wife and family will be present. He returned today to Washington to wrap up a few things and will return the week of May 15. 

9. El Camino Real Complete Streets Project

The initial Stakeholder Meeting was held in early April. The Fire District was inadvertently left off of distribution for the project. That has since been corrected. There is a Community Open House for this project planned for Tuesday, May 16 from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm at Encinal Elementary School. 

10. Fire District Citygate Report - Letter from Fire Chief

I received a letter from the Fire Chief regarding our request to be involved in the Citygate Report. I responded to the Chief. My response follows his letter in the linked PDF

11. Contact with County and Other Agencies on Las Lomitas Project

Staff has made contact with upstream and downstream agencies regarding the Las Lomitas Project. I advised Kevin Bryant (Woodside CM) and Alex McIntyre (Menlo Park CM) that the Town is the recipient of a $13.6 million project agreement with Caltrans for the implementation of a Storm Water Capture Facility at the Las Lomitas Elementary School Campus. 

I advised that this is one of the first of its kind in the State and the first in Northern California. It is not a grant but rather a cooperative project. The project collaboratively implements the NPDES/RWQCB Permit requirements to remove contaminates from the watershed and achieve compliance with the mercury and PCBs TMDLs for SF Bay. I advised that that was where they come in since watershed involves each of their agencies. 

I provided each with the Scope Summary that explains the project and the watershed. I suggested that it was unlikely we would ask for a financial contribution toward maintenance as this cost is expected to be minimal (less than $25k); BUT, we would ask for an MOU amongst each of them (to include Stanford) for any significant maintenance and/or repair of the facility. Each would get credit for your percentage portion of compliance with the NPDES/RWQCB requirements. 

I advised that we were a bit skeptical of the funding surety at the start so we haven’t been too vocal about the project. But, now that Caltrans has promulgated the CIA Agreement - it’s moving. I also advised that this is a fast track project. The Town has approved the CIA with Caltrans and now needs to approve the MOU with the School District for operation/easement. To keep the project moving, the Council would also like to hammer out an MOU with the benefiting agencies prior to pulling the trigger on this “free money” project. The watershed contains 389 acres from Woodside, 319 from Atherton, 306 acres from Menlo Park, and 163 from Stanford - plus 14.8 acres from I-280 (Caltrans’ interest). 

I added that I hoped that we could count on a partnership in the long-term with a return on the benefit. We are not asking for a contribution to the project itself - that’s 100% paid for by Caltrans. We will be asking for a contribution if the facility ever needs significant repairs. That’s a big if since the system is not presently designed with any active systems - it appears as all passive at this point. So the ask is for “some future date." 

Linked here is a presentation by the individual at Caltrans that we have been dealing with on the project. It provides a summary of stormwater finance and the Statewide TMDLs. 

12. HAWK Beacon Installations/Testing Patterns

The new HAWK Beacons are scheduled to be operational by Summer. Caltrans will be conducting some experimental modification to the operation of the beacons since they will be installing a number of the beacons along the corridor. If approved by the California Traffic Control Device Committee, the experimental operation pattern will be an “option” for operation of the beacons in the MUTCD. The alternative adds a Steady Red during the Pedestrian Clearance Interval in addition to the Steady Red during the Pedestrian Walk Interval essentially elongating the period of Steady Red. 

13. Park Events and Revenue Log

Linked here is the April Park Events Calendar and the Park Revenue Log

14. Grand Boulevard Task Force Update

Linked here is a summary memorandum from the March 29 Task Force Meeting  The purpose of the memorandum is to provide highlights of the Task Force Meeting and to assist members with updating their colleagues. 

15. Diana Statue and Water Fountain

As the Council is aware, these items are in need of speciality repair. The Town connected with the repair group used by Marion Oster for this type of speciality work. The scope of work involves packing and shipping the current fountain and statue, stripping the paint, making structural repairs to each, metalizing the finish, painting, replication of any missing pieces, shipping and installing. 

The work is approximately $50,000 for the Diana statue and $45-$50k for the Fountain. If done together, there could be a savings of approximately $10,000 on the total cost. If agreed to within 7 days, we would save an additional $1,000. 

None of this comports with the Town’s bid and purchasing policy at these costs; therefore, it must go to the City Council for consideration. We will bring it to you at an upcoming Council meeting for options. Staff (and others) have suggested that perhaps this might be an option for the Diana statue but that an alternative could be found for the fountain - perhaps fabrication of an alternative design/installation using all of the existing onsite equipment at a far cheaper cost. 

16. Fire Fiscal Services Review

Staff is holding a Kick-Off meeting with the consultant and the Ad Hoc Subcommittee on May 10. 

17. Bayfront Canal Drainage Improvement Project(s)

I will be attending a meeting at the County regarding this project on Thursday, May 11. 

18. PMC Meeting (Civic Center Project)

Staff is working to setup a meeting with the Project Management Committee (and Council Subcommittee) to discuss possible “deduct alternates” for the project as we move through the construction drawings/bid specifications phase.