Housing Element Update
The Housing Element is one of seven required elements of the Town's General Plan. Due to the critical nature of limited housing and housing affordability with statewide implications, State law requires Housing Elements to be updated on a regular basis. The Town of Atherton is currently part of an 8-year update cycle (2023-2031) and is working to update the Housing Element. The Housing Element must be reviewed and certified by the State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) by January 2023.
2023-2031 Draft Housing Element
The Town of Atherton has transmitted its Draft Housing Element for the 2023-31 cycle to the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD). The latest version is available at the link below:
- Appendix 6 Menlo College Letter
- Appendix 7 Letter from Property Owner - 23 Oakwood
- Track Changes - Atherton Housing Element (Word Version)
- Exhibit B - HCD Comment Matrix with Responses
- All Public Comments
- File Submission List to HCD - January 31, 2023
After eight months of public meetings, the Town of Atherton published the initial Draft Housing Element on June 9, 2022 for public review and comment. The Town received over 300 written comments in addition to verbal comments provided at public meetings. The City Council at its July 20, 2022 meeting reviewed the public comments and provided direction to staff to review the Draft Housing Element as follows:
- Removal of all proposed multi-family overlay zones (including 23 Oakwood, 170 Atherton and 290 Polhemus).
- Include the potential subdivision and development of properties utilizing the Town’s existing subdivision standards and SB 9.
- Retain the existing regulations relating to housing and public and private school sites within the PFS zone (no change to height, setback and retain Conditional Use Permit requirement). Also clarify that any new property acquired by a school would be required to utilize the existing rezoning process to change the land use designation from single family residential to PFS.
- Expand the Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) program to include pre-approved ADU plans, and establishment of an ADU rental program.
Join the Conversation and our Email List
Stay up-to-date on the latest information by signing up for the Atherton Housing Element Update Email List.
The Town welcomes your input and comments as part of the update process! See below for the supporting documents discussing housing needs, policies, sites and land use plans.
Previous Meetings and Supporting Documents
- January 31, 2023 - City Council Meeting - Click Here
- January 23, 2023 Housing Element Draft - Click Here
- January 20, 2023 - Letter & Public Notice - Click Here
- January 19, 2023 - Planning Commission Meeting - Click Here
- January 18, 2023 - City Council Meeting - Click Here
- January 11, 2023 - Letter & Map - Click Here
- November 17, 2022 - City Council Meeting - Click Here
- HCD Feedback Letter - Click Here
- October 11, 2022 - City Council Meeting - Click Here
- July 27, 2022 - City Council Meeting - Housing Element Update - Click Here
- July 20, 2022 - City Council Meeting - Housing Element Update - Click Here
- July 15, 2022 - Housing Element Public Notice - Click Here
- May 24, 2022 - City Council Meeting - Special Meeting: Housing Strategies - Click Here
- May 18, 2022 - City Council Meeting - Housing Strategy Refines - Click Here
- February 24, 2022 - City Council - Housing Element Update - Click Here
Overview of Materials
- Town of Atherton Notice of Exemption (2.1.2023) - Click Here
- Town of Atherton Draft Housing Element 2023-31 Update revised January 13, 2023
- Town of Atherton Draft Housing Element 2023-31 Update (Transmitted August 2, 2022)
- Town of Atherton Draft Housing Element 2023-31 Update (Published June 9, 2022)
- June 23, 2022 Staff Presentation on the Draft Housing Element
- June 23, 2022 Planning Commission Special Meeting Recording
- Zoning Overlay Letter (PDF) - June 2022
- 2014-2022 Approved Housing Element Update (PDF)
- 2014-2022 Housing Needs Analysis (PDF)
- ABAG Regional Housing Needs Allocation (RHNA) Report 2023-2031 - Click Here
- What is a Housing Element - Click Here
- Consequences of Non-Compliance (PDF)
- ABAG RHNA FAQ's (PDF)