Public Works Storm Preparations
Most of the weather pundits are calling for a “La Nina” year for weather. What that means to us is slightly above average rainfall and below average temperatures. In preparation for this coming winter season, the Town Public Works Department has performed the following inspections and duties:
• Drain inspections – MCE staff has inspected 90% of all of the drains in Town, and 100% of the habitually “problem drains” where issues seem to arise if the drain is obstructed.
• Drain cleaning – MCE staff along with their sub-contractor roto-rooter have cleaned out over 75 drains and aver 100’ of culvert pipe where excessive build up was found during their inspections. Some of these locations were Fletcher/Alameda, Laburnum/Magnolia, Sutherland/Fletcher and Ridgeview, Camino al Lago, ECR at Atherton Ave and HP Park.
• Gutter cleaning – MCE staff have cleaned the gutters on all Town facilities.
• Atherton Channel – The Atherton Channel has been walked by MCE staff and all important obstructions removed from Fair Oaks (E) to Broadacres. Due to a scheduling breakdown by our equipment rental company, we were not able to clean the buildup of silt at the Station Lane/Watkins section of the channel, but we will be fine for this season and will get next year.
• Euclid ditch cleaned of debris and ditch line prepared for large water flow.
• Pothole mix – the Town has had delivered in bulk about 5 yards of Granite-Patch mix for quick repair of any potholes that might arise during the winter rains.
• Base rock – 6 Yards of class II base rock delivered for needs during winter (mainly shoulder repairs).
• Sand – The Towns 24 hour sand-bagging facility located outside the gates of the corporation yard at 99 Station lane has been filled with fresh sand and sandbags for use by our residents this winter.
• Aggregate stockpiles have been tarped per stormwater requirements.
• MCE staff equipment – all vehicles are to be refueled at the ½ tank level through the winter.
• Emergency equipment – all emergency equipment including standby power (generators), chainsaws, pumps, lights and tractors have been serviced and are left daily in ready to run condition.
• Cones, signs and barricades – ready for immediate deployment.
• Call out list – MCE and public works staff 24 hour emergency call list has been updated for PD dispatch and will be available to respond for any of the Town’s needs day 24/7.