4th of July Festivities
The Atherton Police Department hopes that you are having a fun and safe summer vacation. As the 4th
of July holiday is rapidly approaching, we would like to remind all of our residents that fireworks of any type are not only dangerous, but also illegal in the Town of Atherton. The Police Department will be working closely with the Menlo Park Fire District to provide a safe avenue of disposal and enforcement of fireworks for our residents.
July 4th is the second-most-deadly holiday period of the year – just behind New Year’s – due to impaired driving.
Drunk driving is a serious crime. If you're caught we'll place you under arrest. No exceptions. No excuses.
Much of the tragedy that comes from impaired-driving related crashes could be prevented if everyone would take a few simple precautions before going out to party this Fourth of July.
Always follow these tips for a safer July 4th celebration:
- Whenever you plan on using alcohol, designate your sober driver before going out and give that person your keys;
- If you’re impaired, call a taxi, use mass transit or call a sober friend or family member to get you home safely;
- Promptly report drunk drivers you see on the roadways to law enforcement;
- Wearing your safety belt or using protective gear on your motorcycle is your best defense against an impaired driver;
- And remember, Friends Don’t Let Friends Drive Drunk. If you know someone who is about to drive or ride while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get to where they are going safely.
Family Friendly 4th Events
Below are some family friendly events occurring in San Mateo County for your July 4th Holiday.Foster City:
Pancake breakfast, parade, festival and fireworks
show over the lagoon at Leo J Ryan ParkRedwood City: Independence Festival and ParadeMenlo Park: Parade and Celebration
at Burgess ParkSan Mateo Highlands
: July 3 – Fireworks
at Highlands School, July 4 – Parade
(themed “Around the World”) and Midway